Wednesday 6 May 2009

A Day at Home

Well almost. No bed today, so I'm waiting.
I the meantime I went in and got the dressing changed on my Hickman line. Some of you have asked what it is. Its an intravenous catheter which goes into a vein near my collar bone emerges somewhere north west my left nipple. It branches into two and the ends dangle about near my mid abdomen, so about 1 foot or 30 cm long. Wikipedia can scare you more if you want. The purpose of them is so they can give me all my medication and chemotherapy quickly and easily and also to take blood samples if they need them, and they probably will. They're very keen on blood samples. I suppose it is haematology after all. Any way this line will, as Liz the nurse said today, be my best friend for the next few months.
So I get at least one more night in my own bed which will be really nice.
I'll let you know.

No comments: