Monday 25 May 2009

13

I'm hoping that 13 is a good number for us today, in that grafting will begin. No sign yet from the bloods today. Neutos still at 0. Doctor today said it was early days yet and wait for the end of the week. Jeanette was born on the 13th, we got engaged on Friday the 13th, we moved house on Friday 13th and, as you know, we live at No.13. So No.13 doesn't frighten us.
I can't believe my daughters are 18 and I've never had them eat snails before. what a huge lapse in my responsibility as a parent. I urge you all to take your kids out at once and serve them up with a dish of snails. Delicious.
I see a marketing opportunity for Pimms in the US. It's got to be better than iced tea surely? Anyone want to go into business?
As far as medical stuff goes, as I said my neutrophils are zero, platelets are 7 (183 when I came in) so I'll be getting a bag of those later. Haemoglobin (Hb) is 11.4 - but I had 2 units yesterday. White blood cells (WBC) =0.
DL, you really know how to frighten a man. For a moment there I thought he knew where I lived. The hamster was the best so far.

4 comments:

CharlieT said...

I've added a v.small chart of neutrophils vs time. Small.

Phil said...

Hey Charlie glad you can see crops again. My battle with the bindweed and couchgrass this afternoon was rudely interrupted by son and wife bearing waterpistols, we had a great time. The dogs weren't so impressed though....

Didn't John Major once get ridiculed for saying he was neutropenic? Oh no, I remember - he said he was neutral about peas. My mistake. Unlike Edwina Currie, who was his mistake.

I've just had a revelation, a happy omen, but bear with me. Early on in your blog you mentioned you'd planted the courgettes one day while waiting for the hospital to call you in. As you well know, if you don't harvest them soon enough (to grate onto the compost heap) then they grow into .....marrows. So just think of your stem cells as "bone courgettes", and you'll be pushing out neutrophils, basophils and eosinophils before you know it.

Peas, courgettes...is there no end to this weird vegetable / haemotology symbolism? I'm sure you can think of some more.

Hang in there
(neutro)Phil

Karen said...

Hi Charles
Thought I'd left a message earlier but it seems to have disappeared?
Just wanted to say hope its lucky 13 and those neutrophils start doing their business.
Cloudy day here after a promising start.
We introducd O,J and S to snails in France at New Year, S very unimpressed!
New plants for the garden today, delphiniums,sedeum and something pink and pretty.
We couldn't work out whether DL was a mouse, hamster or a gerbil?? Was an interesting conversation point! Very amusing.
Hope your day has felt ok and your coping with the waiting game.
Love to J,S,A and R.
Karen&Graham xx

Anonymous said...

Hey, Charles. If I cannot find Pimms over here in the U.S. I will let you know. I remember Jeanette and Beverly were always trying to find Cider over here when they were over here (25+ years ago). I found something similar but it wasn't what they drank back in the U.K. I noticed that Pimms is a gin I've got to admit I'm not a gin drinker. I like vodka
(Grey Goose) martini's dry with extra olives though. With all this talk about liquor it has made me thirsy...I think I'll make myself a cocktail....it's only 8pm here in the U.S. Hope when tomorrow comes your "N" numbers will start to rise.
Hang Tough,
Gerry