Tuesday 26 May 2009

14

No change really. Blood results much the same; platelets up due to a bag of them yesterday afternoon. But really no change yet. Sickness under control, but I still suffer from queasy spells. Must be in my head.
Been amusing myself this morning by thinking about a holiday. Since we met Jeanette has never believed that you can read a newspaper at midnight in the summer in the north of Scotland. I know you can, because I have, many years ago when I cycled from Fort William all the way up the West coast to Ullapool and then across to Lewis and all the way back down, through Skye (quickly - as there are McDonald's there. The clan, not the burger outlet) and onto the main land. I think I had trench foot as they were constantly wet. I found drinking whisky and washing with coal tar soap kept the 'midge' away from my tent. Or perhaps it's because I wore the same clothes for a week and cycled over 500 miles - about 80 miles a day.
Anyway as I'm not allowed to fly for a few months after this, we thought we would drive up and spend some time north of Ullapool. We hope to see some people on our way up or down. If any one can recommend a cottage or hotels to stay in en route I'd be happy to hear any suggestions.
Back to my Wester Ross surfing.

7 comments:

sue said...

Can't recommend a cottage or hotels to stay in but can recommend Avon so soft body oil to spray on to keep the midges away. Apparantly the SAS use it when they train in scotland and it works....so if it works for them it could work for you. Just find yourself an Avon 'lady'...!!!

Unknown said...

I have mixed feelings about yomping in Scotland.
About 10 years ago my mate was writing for Trail magazine. He had an article to write on walking in Morocco - and I was drafted in as his 'photographer', basically just a freebee holiday.
Two days before we left he said he'd changed the plans and we were going to walk the West Highland Way, bagging all the munros enroute.
I told him he was a cock, but off we went.
It was so cold. I had this mantra, "We could have been in f**king Morocco," which I muttered up and down every freezing hill. That mantra actually made it into his article, in huge bold letters across the page, with a nice picture of us picking up our frost bitten fingers from the frozen tundra.

But I'm sure the middle of summer is nice!

Anonymous said...

Charles, Maybe your lucky day is tomorrow...the 13th of May.
Yes, I've heard Avon's "Skin So Soft" bath oil mixed about half and half with alcohol is good to repell insects. Although not showing for a week is a remedy for keeping even humans away.
A Father came home from a long business trip to find his young son riding a brand new bike.

"Where did you get the money for that?" he asked. "It must have cost over 300 dollars!"

"I earned it hiking," replied the boy.

"Hiking??? Come on son, tell your Dad the truth. Nobody can make that sort of money hiking. Where did you Really get the cash from?"

"It's like I say, Dad. Every night when you were gone, Mr Johnson from the bank would come over to see Mom. He'd give me a 20 dollar bill and tell me to take a hike"

Hang Tough,
Gerry

CharlieT said...

I did wash in a river one day, much to the amusement of passing traffic. I didn't need to shower, I was soaked to the skin every day, by the 'soft rain'. Yomping over the Monroes in the cold is just a silly thing to do.

Jeanette said...

Ok guys, you're really selling it to me now!

Unknown said...

Monroes - can't even bring mesel to speel it proply.

Helen said...

Hi Charles,

We've just booked a cottage in Cornwall for four days in June on cottages4you website. They had a great selection and might be worth a look.

We went out for the day with Helen & John on Sunday. They send their love and I've got a card to pass on when I see Jeanette next. John's Mum had Myeloma believe it or not. It was back in the 70's though and they didn't really know much about it back then and it took years before they worked out what it was.

Glad to hear the nausea is subsiding in time for pilchards to be back on the menu!

Love Helen & Ron xx